Monday, February 7, 2011

Nowt nor Summat





     Last week was a neither something or nothing ( "Nowt nor Summat" in Yorkshire text) kind of week.
     Fortunately I had an art class to go to on Thursday otherwise the week would have been a wash out. I really love my art classes, well  to be honest its a kind of love hate relationship I have with painting. In my mind I AM a great artist but my brain is having a hard time transfering that knowledge to my hands. I have tried for years off and on with watercolour but I am now trying acrylics.


 
The patio work area.
 I go with a couple of friends  into    Merida every fortnight ( fortnight =  two weeks to the non Brits) The class is 10 till 2 . For  concentrating for  four hours is nigh on impossible, hence lots of wondering around looking at other peoples stuff. I really need to have two paintings on the go at one time..... which is how I read books actually, two at a time.


Classes are held at Greenwood's home in Merida. ( Greenwood is our art teacher) It is quite the setting for an art class, outside in the garden which is wonderful at present as the temperature is perfect. Unfortunately it is already starting to get hotter and with the summer comes the dreaded humidity.... can't wait , I jest of course as everyone here knows I hate the humidity ( but that's a whole new blog)

  

Outside work area.
Work in progress.
 Greenwood and his wife Cherie (pronounced Cherry) are really nice people to be around. Very calming, relaxed, spiritual people. The kind of people I wish I was but know I never ( well it's too late now) will be. Cherie is also an artist too but in wildlife photography.
Greenwood and a couple of my early paintings behind.




 I have tried my hand at crafts too but I have decided I am just not a crafty person. In fact just before Christmas, Carol and Paul who have our local eatery Taco Maya decided to try hosting the first  local Funky Market . Paul is a also a fellow Brit ( lived in the States many years before coming to Mexico ) and Carol is a French Canadian but we don't hold it against her. The Funky Market has since become a regular event but I only attended the one. As you know I get bored easily so one was enough for me. They are fun though and I love seeing such a diverse arena of talent. It's amazing what people can do.




However I did do well   and people seemed to like the stuff so I will let you see some of my work......now contain yourselves I don't want to be swamped with orders ?????.....


My table showing shell balls and other stuff which is hard to see in this picture.








Wood flip flops wall hooks.


Christmas wreath.






Made from palm pods.












These could be used as bread baskets or wall decor.




As usual the week ended with the Symphony on Sunday... another great day.


Maybe the week wasn't such a "Nowt nor Summat" kind of week after all.













2 comments:

Jonna said...

You ARE a good artist, I think it is the other way around and your hands know it but your mind doesn't believe it.

I like the layout on the blog but it wouldn't let me comment from Chrome, I'm trying it again. If you get a dozen comments from me, delete the rest.

Cool fabric art behind Greenwood and Cherie's pool.

pam said...

Love the Christmas wreath! You ARE a very crafty person, stop putting yourself down! Love you. Pam