Friday, August 26, 2011

In Hertford, Hereford and Hampshire ?? & 'Didn't we have a lovely day'

In Hertford, Hereford and Hampshire, Hurricanes , Hardly Happen    ( My Fair Lady )..........Really ?


It seems that wherever we go some bizarre  twists of nature follows. I kid you not? and if Paul's reading this I hasten to add I am not complaining.I am merely making observations.
 It appears that to Paul I'm always complaining..... Moi !. Mind you I was  living in Mexico at the time and o.k so yes I admit I had my moments. Oh and if my memory serves me correctly most of my 'complaining ' was done in his eatery. Mmmm, you can draw your own conclusions? ( sorry Paul you started it )


Anyway I digress...............................Hurricane Irene? We spent 3 years in Mexico, never saw a hurricane. We have been back in Canada 2 months and we have hurricane Irene to look forward to. Who'dathunkit? As of this moment it looks like Washington, New York and The Carolinas are going to be hit which I can't begin to imagine the damage that it will do.We will see the periphery of the storm , high winds and rain and yes we are still in the motor home.We don't move until the 1st. Bad timing or what? I'm just hoping Irene doesn't head further west then it could be catastrophic. Not that I want anyone to suffer but the thought of it touching land here in Nova Scotia is certainly not a happy one.


As I mentioned, bizarre things do follow us around like........
When we first moved to Alberta? worst flood for 50 years.The town we lived near was evacuated.


Or not shortly afterwards, the worst May snow fall for a similar number of years. The wet heavy stuff as I recall.We had power outages for weeks.


Then there was the plague of grasshoppers. Crawling carpets of hungry hoppers eating every blade of grass they could find.


Then there was the dense, smoke filled skies from the B.C fires.......... 


Oh and lets not forget the mad cow outbreak not long after we first arrived in the country.   England was in the midst of their most serious outbreak of foot and mouth disease in a long time when we left and i have to say I did feel a tad uncomfortable.However I do believe they said that it didn't come from Europe. Phew.




So there it is. Just sayin'?!?!






Didn't we have a lovely day


"Didn't we have a lovely time the day we went to Bangor
A beautiful day we had lunch on the way and all for under a pound you know.
But on the way back I cuddled with Jack and we opened a bottle of cider
Singing a few of our favourite songs and the wheels went around

Elsie and me , we finished our tea and said goodbye to the seaside
Got on a bus, Flo said to us, oh, isn't it a shame to go
Wouldn't it be grand to have cash on demand and live like this for always
Singing a few of our favourite songs as the wheels went around." 


Well not quite the song but we have had some great days out. Some friends we have just met said to take a trip to the Annapolis Valley as they said it was beautiful . They weren't wrong ! It is indeed a beautiful part of Nova Scotia.






Wolfeville













Wolfeville
































On our other day trip, we decided to take a whale watching and nature cruise from the harbour. It was a gorgeous day (yes again)  and we had a tremendous time.  However not a whale in site but we did see some porpoise so all was not lost. The commentary was very informative with a comprehensive history of Halifax and some interesting nature tidbits. 
The views from the boat were spectacular and as it was such a nice day the sail boats were out  in force which made for a considerable photo op. I think I took 109 photos. Thank goodness for digital cameras.












































Lunch on Cable Wharfe after the boat trip
We're not in the photo.I took it for the view.









Can'y you still hear the noise on the Pier
As we took a breath of sea air
Having a go at every side show
We passed along the way, we had
Our fortunes told,when it turned a bit cold
And a go on the tombola
It was such a surprise 'cause I won first prize
When the wheel went around.


As sung by "Fiddlers Dram"





6 comments:

Debi in Merida said...

OK, so you are on a spit of land that could be waist high in water due to the impending hurricane, You are living in a "MOBILE" home, so why aren't you mobile and hightailing it inland for a few days?
we're worried?

9kids said...

Goodness, Paula, drama and adventure follow you wherever you go! Stay safe, my friends. {{{hugs}}}

Paula Dodwell said...

Thanks for the concern you guys.
Debi dont worry I'm sure we'll be ok.Could make for a good blog though one way or another.We may not even have to worry about getting rid of 'the old girl'

pam said...

As long as you're not in "the old girl" when she goes for a spin up in the air!!! Happy splashing!!

Anonymous said...

Sure looks like a lovely place to live! Hopefully the storm will lose all its power by the time it's that far north.

Leslie

Nan said...

Sounds like you have found "home". Hopefully all you will get is rain from Irene. At least it won't come as snow.