Friday, April 15, 2011

"Yuck" atecan !

Most mornings I walk either the beach or what we call the beach road ( the road behind the beach front houses) to Chelem for morning coffee. It's a good way to start the day. This means that I get a good half hours exercise in and the reward is coffee and a chat with friends which, passes the day along. Stephen drives to meet me there, he says someone has to bring me back... although I should walk both ways I know, but quite honestly I think I'm doing well walking one way in this heat so don't anyone start.


Taco Maya






Monday to Wednesday coffee is at Ricos. Thursday to Sunday is at Taco Maya          ( affectionately known as Tacky).  It can vary of course and there is a new place just opened by a lovely mexican lady called Graciella 


Now, none of these places are Starbucks? No fancy schmancy surroundings or biscottis to nibble on  here. Remember where we are folks ? This is Chelem...... sleepy little old beach town, barely sees a tourist let alone anything else. But it's where the locals ( Gringos mainly ) hang out for breakfast and lunch and these places have a unique  ambience all  of their own . By the way when I say breakfast I mean a couple of bits of toast .They do a ' proper' breakfast of course but if I started doing that every morning I would be like a house side wouldn't I then I would have to start walking both ways so best stick with the toast and keep my 'girlish' figure...... yeah right.


Breakfast locally is one thing , going out for an evening meal is another. For a start most local eateries close around 8/9pm. Everyone knows Gringo midnight is 9 o'clock don't they? The decision you need to make is do you want to just 'eat and go' or are you looking for the total experience... great food, good service great ambience. If you are looking for the latter then  local is not where you go.


The next question is what kind of food do you want ?


You probably think authentic Mexican ? Well now we know that's not right because as we found out pretty quickly we  live in the Yucatan and also as we now know The Yucatan is definitely different to the rest of Mexico. So if you want great food then you probably shouldn't be in the Yucatan at all..........I jest people! It was my feeble attempt at a joke of course the Yucatan has great food................. well no it hasn't actually and I know that some of my friends will have something to say about this but come on guys.....it's slop on a plate, served with those little taco things that are absolutely tasteless and the only thing they are good for it to try and contain the slop that goes in them . Eeuk! You really have to be two taco's short of a combination platter to like that stuff.




Slop....




Locally you can get the usual Yucatecan fare but as you have gathered  it's not for me and I eat it only when necessary. Be that as it may I am definitely not a ketchup and fries kinda girl either, make no mistake. I like nice food but to get it you really must go into Merida with it's diverse collection of restaurants and where ambience and good food are not hard to find...... as long as you don't want slop on a plate that is.


Now why I got into all this is beyond me. It just seemed to have a mental shower of food thoughts an away I want. I think when I originally started I was going to describe my walk on the beach, ah well another time .......... however, a walk of fact or fantasy you will have to wait and see....... 



No comments: