Monday, June 13, 2011

Day 12 and 13 Sunday and Monday...Ain't no mountain high enough?


Day 12.

Drive wise...boring. The mountains over the last two days just went on and on.The elevations signs have said....2500ft,1272ft and 965ft. This is not good for the old bone shaker we call a motor home. We literally crawl up the hills ( mountains whatever) on  wing and a prayer and I really mean prayer never knowing if we will make it. It's been around 500 miles of this tedious, stressful and boring journey.






The days are definitely cooler now. I'm still in shorts but only just and I have a long sleeved hoodie on. Although the roads are boring it is nice to see a panorama of lush green trees and the roadside littered with wildflowers.








However although a little boring, there has been some special moments .... little gems of happenstance!

It all comes down to people.................




We pulled into a gas station in Akron Ohio. In front of us were a group of bikers. Big bikes , leather gear the whole shebang . We had to wait our turn but when they were done we pulled in and they moved to the side and congregated.Some went into the store and some just mooched around. 


 It's fascinating watching people don't you think ? These guys were older bikers with the usual trappings. All leather clad with do-rags under their helmets and well cared for bikes. Where were they going ? where had they been ?


So I decided to find out. I walked over to one of the women and started chatting. They had all been to an A.A convention in Akron which apparently where Alcoholic Anonymous was founded by two guys 76 years ago. She told me that she had been sober 27 years and no one in her group drank or did drugs. The convention was held in the local stadium and there were 11,000 attendees. She was a lovely person to talk to and gave all the credit to the founders and the hand of God. Although I did point out that they as human beings deserved some of the credit too.  She wanted to know our story so we chatted awhile and exchanged stories.They had a 7 hour journey back to Syracuse so we said goodbye and she gave me an unexpected hug which was really lovely moment.Then Stephen had a beer !


People huh.............. interesting, fascinating and more often than not surprising.




Another Crackerbarrell experience........busy Sunday breakfast, the place was heaving and the table and chairs were quite close together. A waitress , not ours was passing back and forth behind Stephen's chair with some difficulty. Oh why am I being so polite..... she had a rear end on her that should have had a sign on it that said 'wide load' and she could barely get by. Someone at one of her tables passed comment something to the effect that there was not a lot of space between tables and she replied...... 'yes we could do with extending the room a couple of feet '.......... when I heard this I looked at Stephen, my eyes must have been the size of golf balls but I'll not tell you what I said................... oh twist  my arm then .................. .... I leaned forward and said ........... losing a couple of feet on the rear end might help before extending the dining room to accommodate your back side .........  No I am not fat prejudice honestly but even America admits it has a problem. Sheez!


Hillbillies.
And so to my  last people story..............We stayed in a motel last night. It had a huge car park as it was close to the gas stations and truckers need space to park which is great for us. It had a good size grass area too.I noticed as Hannah and I went for out usual evening walk that there was a group of guys playing horse shoes. As I walked passed them on my way back they were say at a pic nice table and shouted across... nice dog. I said thanks and wandered over for a chat. What a motley crew they were but what nice guys. Again as with the bikers we exchanged stories. They lived on the border of Tennessee,Kentucky and Missouri and were truckers who worked the pipe lines. They also admitted to being hillbillies. They showed me photos on their phone of where they lived and some of the work on the pipe lines that they do.We chin wagged for quite awhile............... as I left  I could almost hear the duelling banjos  from 'Deliverance' ...........................


Tuesday. Day 13 was like Ground Hog day. As a matter of fact we saw quite a few of those little critters at the side of the road. Obviously they have no road sense as all the ones we saw were squished.


Oh we called in a Walgreens for some bits and bobs. I thought I was in heaven.  I picked up a hair colour ( Oops now you know it's not naturally red..... as if? )  I have been various shades of red over the last three years because I couldn't read the hair colour obstructions as I call them. It was shear bliss reading labels without having to ask for a translation or using guess work.... ah. little things please little minds.


So today Connecticut....tomorrow Massachusetts. Just spoke to Raquel and Bob to let them know that their trailer trash house guests are arriving sooner than planned.............. Can't wait you guys XX








Talk about the life in Massachusetts,
Speak about the  people I have seen
And the lights all went out in Massachusetts
And Massachusetts is one place I have seen.

                                       The Bee Gees.






Barney and Hannah. Happy together.
On the table.One spoilt dog.






















4 comments:

Nan said...

Have you forgotten what real cold is Paula? You will need a snuggie when you get to Moncton.

Anonymous said...

You could have followed the bikers to Syracuse - had your own personal guide !!
Sheri

Anonymous said...

Oh how I envy you..Walgreens..sigh..say no more.

Keep on truckin you road hounds!

Leslie

JaneB said...

The sight of the rippling muscles of those hillbillies are enough to bring American women to their knees! But how about English ones, I don't think so.

We also love Crackerbarrel when we are Stateside, my favourite are the biscuits. If you haven't tasted them, they are much lighter than an scone but different from a bread roll: delicious.